Acting on behalf of its membership and to the benefit of all California sheep producers, the Certified California Lamb label is owned, verified and managed by California Wool Growers Association.
Certified California Lamb Label
• Born, raised, and harvested exclusively in California.
• Lambs less than 1 year of age.
• USDA Quality Grade Choice or Prime.
• USDA Yield Grade 1, 2, or 3.
• Carcass dressed weight – 85 lbs. or less.
• Produced by members of California Wool Growers Association.
The Certified California Lamb program was established to improve the California sheep industry by providing an avenue for sheep producers to market a desirable, high quality, value-added product to consumers.
The Certified California Lamb label is owned, verified, and managed by the California Wool Growers Association.
- Increase the market for California lamb by promoting lamb through the Certified California Lamb label.
- Educate producers to the benefits of producing a quality product that meets source, specific weight, age, and grade criteria.
- Strengthen the value of California lamb so producers can remain viable and sustainable ranchers.
- Provide an additional avenue through which to market lamb with the potential to receive a premium for their efforts.
- Enhance the U.S. market for California lamb and potentially expand into national and international markets.
- Lambs must be verifiably documented to be born, raised, and harvested exclusively in California.
- Lambs must be less than 1 year of age – as determined by physiological maturity using the USDA grading standards.
- Carcass dressed weight must be 85 lbs. or less.
- Carcass quality grade – USDA Choice or Prime.
- Carcass yield grade – USDA Yield Grade of 1-3.
- Producer must be a member of California Wool Growers Association
Certified California Lamb is offered in a variety of lamb products including:
- Loin Chops
- Shoulder Chops
- Bone-In, Semi-Boneless, Boneless Leg
- And more!